With an entire semester of uncertainty ahead of us, IEEE has your back. If you’re new to UC Berkeley, you may be feeling especially overwhelmed by the multitude of courses and information being offered and handed to you. We hope that this organized collection of online resources will help ease that stress! Whether you’re on campus or not, we encourage you to take advantage of these health, academic, technology, and career resources, and allow yourself to worry about things that matter the most right now. Take care of yourselves, and let IEEE take care of you.
ESS Peer Advising
Peer advisers are also available Monday-Thursday 9am-5pm, Friday 10am-5pm, as well as Tuesday/Thursday 7-9pm through their Virtual Front Desk. Ask for a resume review, access tutoring, learn more about the College of Engineering, etc! You can also email email@example.com for more information. Check out the full schedule in this spreadsheet.
Student Learning Center
The Student Learning Center offers tutoring for a multitude of different courses. They have fully transitioned to virtual drop-in sessions through Zoom. Here are some links:
- Science (Biology 1A/1AL, Chemistry 1A/1AL, 3A/3AL, 3B/3BL, 32, Physics 8A, 8B)
- Math + Stat (Math 1A/1B, 10A/B, 16A/B, 32, 53, 54, 55, Stat 2, 20, 21, 134)
- Social Science (Africam 5B, Anthro 1,3AC, Poli Sci 1, 2, W3, Psych 101, Soc 1, 5, 101)
- Drop-In + Appointments
- Economics (1,2,100A/B, 134, 140)
Satellite Tutoring with CAEE
Engineering Student Services provides regular tutoring for a multitude of classes. Online tutoring is available via Google Hangouts. Visit the CAEE Front Desk. You will briefly be in the waiting room.
Once accepted into the Virtual Front Desk you will be asked to fill out the sign-in form by a student assistant. This form tracks the utilization of CAEE’s services and help improve services. The student assistant connect you to an available tutor or the study lounge.
Once your session is over our tutor or student assistant will ask you to fill out a feedback form.
Check out the Fall 2020 tutoring schedule for hours and more information!
Totally-Not-Free Online Textbook Access
If you’re looking for an online version of your course’s textbook, libgen (Library Genesis) is the place to go! The url changes regularly so if that one doesn’t work anymore, type “libgen” into google and click on the first result to start looking for your textbook. Disclaimer: the original site, libgen.org, was ordered to shut down in 2015, which is why the current site's existence is somewhat...sketchy. So proceed at your own risk.
Remote Learning Resources
UC Berkeley has also provided several resources for instructional resilience, such as technology, workshops, and tools for remote teaching! Check them out here. Another great website that provides information on remote learning is Berkeley Public Health, from access to technology to academic support.
Useful Mobile Apps
Don’t forget to install the following mobile apps on your phone for easy access!
- Piazza is the Q&A platform between students and instructors used for many courses
- Install Canvas Student (a.k.a. bCourses) to access your courses from your phone and view/submit assignments easily
- Tap Scanner, or any other photo -> PDF app, allows you to take photos of your physical paper assignments or documents and convert them into a PDF within seconds
- Install the mobile Zoom app to access Zoom meetings or calls from your phone if your laptop or tablet is unavailable
- Wildfire is the app to go to for safety updates about the campus and is a forum for more Q&A between students
RSF Online Fitness Classes
UC Berkeley’s Recreational Sports Facility offers virtual resources for staying active and healthy! Feel free to check out any of the following options:
- Participate in one of RSF’s free yoga, pilates, conditioning, or zumba virtual classes through Zoom, offered Monday through Sunday, via the calendar under Fitness & Wellness: Live virtual classes
- Workout on your own time by exercising alongside their instructional videos led by fitness instructors under Fitness & Wellness: On-demand classes and videos
- Consult a medical nutrition therapist here
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a 45-minute session with a life coach to work towards making healthier lifestyle choices
- Email email@example.com to schedule a Healthy Sexuality Coaching appointment
Explore Rec Sports Online for more!
This can be a scary and stressful time for all of us. If you are feeling nervous, anxious, etc., you can make an appointment with the University Health Services to get started with Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS):
- Schedule a phone appointment by calling 510-642-9494 or via https://etang.berkeley.edu/
- CAPS will help you determine whether the next step is a 45 min counseling appointment, crisis drop-in counseling, group counseling, or a referral to other resources
- Urgent counseling is available Monday - Friday, 10 AM - 5 PM, Tang Center 3rd Floor
There is no charge to get started with CAPS! Check out https://uhs.berkeley.edu/ for other health resources. In addition, UHS has created multilingual information guides for your convenience in 79 different languages!
The status of our campus libraries this school year is still uncertain. However, you can still access books and journal content electronically off-campus. Please check out this link to learn about connecting to the off campus VPN. You can also check out major-specific links for engineers to see what resources are available to you. For example, here is the Electrical Engineering & Computer Science page.
Student Discounts on Technology
Don’t forget to take advantage of the student discounts offered via Berkeley Student Technology Services for many large retailers such as:
Don’t miss out on the plethora of free software available for UC Berkeley students! Check out the whole catalogue here. This includes:
- Access to the full suite of Adobe Creative Cloud applications
- Access to all of the Microsoft 365 ProPlus applications
- Virtual Machine software such as VMWare and so much more!
If you need help, check out Student Technology Services, which offers free tech support for all Berkeley students (and say hi to some IEEE members who work there!)
UC Berkeley VPN Access
The bSecure Remote Access VPN (Virtual Private Network) service, using the Palo Alto Networks’ GlobalProtect software, allows CalNet ID–authenticated users to securely access the UC Berkeley network from outside of campus as if they were on campus and encrypts the information sent through the network.