Download & Install KiCad
The download is ~1.5 GB large and the install requires ~6 GB of disk space.
Do not install the default KiCad version you find on www.kicad.org. Instead, you must use the following links:
- Download link: https://downloads.kicad.org/kicad/windows/explore/nightlies/download/kicad-msvc.r24119.a2c28b18a8-x86_64.exe
- Install instructions: Leave all of the default checkboxes as is. You do not have to install FreeCAD at the end.
- Download link: https://downloads.kicad.org/kicad/macos/explore/nightlies/download/kicad-unified-20210908-141611-a2c28b18a8.dmg
- Install instructions: Open the
.dmg, move the 2 folders into
Application Supportby copying and pasting. Drag and drop does not work. You may also want to save the
demosfolder somewhere, but this is not required.
- Download instructions: Go to www.kicad.org/download/ then select your distro and follow instructions to get the nightly version.
- Install instructions: Varies by distro. Note: No instructor support will be provided for any install issues
Ask us for help if you run into any issues (Unless your are not running Windows or MacOS)
Running KiCad for the first time:
Open KiCad by looking for this icon:
You will see this dialog box pop up, simply press
You should see the project manager screen, but you can simply exit KiCad for now. Your KiCad install is now complete!